We recently jumped back on the Netflix bandwagon. I had cancelled our account last summer because we just found we weren’t using it. We get regular TV by antenna and my husband set up a Digital Video Recorder using an old desktop computer and Windows Media software. (There are probably easier ways to do it now, but if you’re interested in how he set it up in 2013, you can read that here.).
We got Netflix the first time around and again this time because we’re looking for French content for the kids to watch. They watch one 20-minute show six days per week as part of their screen time. We’ve successfully used DVD’s from the library and movies that we have at home, but wanted to open up a few more options.
Unfortunately, Netflix’s search functions are as bad as ever. It still is not possible to search for content with audio in a specific language. So, I’m stuck looking at the show and clicking the button in the bottom right to see whether French is available:
In short, it’s a big pain. So, if you’re looking for French content on Netflix, let me save you some trouble, and give you the list of 17 kids’ shows that I found in October 2016 that have French audio available on Netflix Canada.
Important notes about the list:
- Age recommendations and links are from Common Sense Media so you can get the low-down and assess the appropriateness of the show for your family
- This list is not meant to represent ALL shows available – just the ones I was able to find in writing this post. It locked me out of my account because I was clicking on too many things, so I had to stop the compilation. If you have shows to add, please feel free to leave a comment at the bottom of the post. 🙂
Ok without further ado, here’s a list of 17 French shows for kids on Netflix:
- Alvin et les chipmunks
- Dinosaur King (ages 9+)
- Dinotrux (ages 7+)
- Dragons par dela des reves (ages 8+)
- Johnny Test (ages 7+)
- Lego DC Comics: Batman Be-Leaguered
- Lego Marvel Superheroes
- Lego Ninjago (ages 7+)
- Octonauts (ages 4+)
- Pac-Man et les aventures de Fantomes (ages 8+)
- Paw Patrol (ages 3+)
- Pokemon League Indigo
- Pokemon the series XY (ages 6+)
- Power Rangers Dino Charge (ages 7+)
- Teen Titans Go! (ages 7+)
- Transformers Prime (ages 8+)
- Turbo FAST (ages 6+)
One other tip to make recommendations better
An improvement I have noticed since the last time around is that I can change the language on one profile to French without it changing it on all the profiles. So, I set up a separate profile called “En français” and chose the kid option and French language option for that profile. Now, my husband can still see his profile instructions in English, but the recommendations that show up in the En français profile are more likely to have French audio available. Not guaranteed, but more likely and that’s a start.
I know my list is not complete. What shows would you add to it?
If you're not reading this post in your e-mail, sign up for updates right here and get your free guide to Getting Started Teaching French at Home: